Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sandwich kick - Portland, OR inspired

The other night, I was watching some Food Network show featuring Portland, Oregon. For about a decade now, I have been intrigued by the concept of Portland: hippie haven, exercise junkie land, recycling freaks, etc. During this show, they toured the inside of a small coffeehouse and showed some of the lunches they served. It started me thinking about what I typically eat for lunch.

At my old job, I ate out a lot. Expensive, high in sodium, and not so good for you (fun, though!). At the new job, who has time for lunch? I have been eating a frozen Kashi meal, soup, a Go-Lean bar - whatever I have in my desk drawer.

The Portland-themed show inspired me to break out of my rut, and I am pleased to share the following sandwich with you (I have eaten it for two days running):

- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 3-4 slices turkey (I used lunch meat, but fresh turkey would be faboo)
- whisper-thin layer of mayo
- 1/2 avocado, sliced and laid out evenly across turkey
- loads of alfalfa sprouts, in a thick layer

Seriously, I could eat it every day. I sprinkled a bit of salt on the avocado layer, to bring out the flavor, and it really punched it up. I think I'll eat it again tomorrow!

No comments: