Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Fiona's tongue is set free!

This afternoon, the underside of Fiona's tongue - also called the frenulum - was clipped to improve her tongue's range of motion. She handled it like a champ; she seemed more irritated by the application of anesthetic than she did the actual clipping. I thought it was going to be much worse, and was fearful that Fiona would cry a lot - not to mention bleed. But neither thing happened. Here is how it went down.

The ENT used long Q-tips to apply several rounds of anesthetic on either side of her frenulum. I held Fiona in my arms, with her head kind of trapped between my upper arms. She was already tired, so the jamming of swabs into her mouth was displeasing to her. => She was crying a lot at this point. Then the doctor got out a pair of small scissors, which is when I closed my eyes. No need for me to witness THAT. A second later, Fiona's tongue was clipped, she was asleep, and we were on our way home.

She has cried a bit tonight, but nothing too terrible. And I can already see an improvement in her tongue's range of motion. I was changing her, and I saw the tip of her tongue shoot out a few times, something I had not seen her do before.

Following is some more information on being "tongue tied." Just ignore the comment about the mother having done cocaine. It isn't true! Hah! =>

http://www.healthbanks.com/PatientPortal/Public/ArticlePromoted.aspx?ArticleID=HW5hw183100

No comments: